Even though it feels like April outside, I know it’s May. Why? My mailbox is overflowing with high school graduation open house invites! So, here’s a few tips for those of you planning & attending an open house!
Do’s & Don’ts for Guests:
- Don’t arrive early! The final preparations will be occurring and you will add stress to your host.
- Do bring something for the guest of honor. Here are some ideas: A card & book, a check for $20.13 (get it?!), a gift card, a crisp $20, or something for their dorm if they are heading to college.
- Do respect your host with your presence. Plan to stay for at least 45-minutes.
- Don’t feel obligated to attend every open house you are invited to. If you don’t feel connected to the graduate there is not an obligation to attend or send anything.
Do’s & Don’ts for Hosts:
- Do have a sign-in book so that the graduate has an easy list to know who to write a thank you too!
- Don’t do it all! Ask friends or family members to help greet guests, refill the buffet, clean tables, etc. so that you can enjoy the celebration as well!
- Do remember that food will be sitting out for a few hours so plan a menu that doesn’t need to be kept hot (like sandwiches and salads) or have chaffing dishes on hand.
- Do have a back-up plan in the case of bad weather.